Hard stool is usually due to constipation. Constipation is a situation where a person experiences great difficulty when evacuating the bowels. In case that stool remains in the body for 48 hours or more, any fluid in feces is reabsorbed back into the body thus making the stool dry. Stool which is dry is quite difficult for a person to excrete from the body. In very severe cases it is a painful experience and sometimes one can bleed in the process.
In most cases, one can simply treat this condition using home remedies however, they area few cases which one requires quick consultation with the doctor. This enables a person to know the exact root of the problem.
Causes of hard stool
There quite a number of reasons that can cause one to experience hardening of the stool. These reasons includes
- Colon cancer
- Eating disorder
- Pregnancy periods
- Dehydration of a person
- Some neurological disorders including Parkinson’s disease.
- Some of the medications prescribed have this condition as a side effect.
- Inactiveness of a person
- Changing of the diet
- Consumption of a lot of dairy products
- Hypothyroidism, inactiveness of the thyroid
- Problems with the body muscle and the nervous system
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
If a person has been experiencing this condition for a while, they should consult a doctor. During the visit to a doctor a person can ask for the following tests so as to find the underlying problem.
- A blood test so as to check for the hormones level.
- A barium study, this study enables the doctor to look for any colon blockages. A person is required to guzzle a special type of drink so as to undergo this test undergo this test.
- Colonoscopy is also a test that can be done to look for colon blockages.
In quite a number of cases a trigger in diet or lifestyle change can fix the constipation problem. In very limited number of occasions isone required to consult a doctor for treatment. A person should always make time and put in the necessary efforts so as to treat this condition
- A diet rich in fiber. A person should adapt a diet that contains at least 20 to 35 grams of fiber every single day. Fiber contributes greatly to the formation of soft plus bulky stool. Some of the foods that are rich in fiber include,
- Bread whichincludes, granolabread, whole white bread,popcorn,waffles,wheat bran muffins or even nutria-grain
- Grains and cereals- these includes, branflakes, shredded wheat, corn bran, granola, brown rice, oatmeal, raisin bran.
- Vegetables- these includes, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, spinach, beets, turnip greens, carrot, potatoes with skin, brussels, acorn, butternut squash, potatoes with skin.
- Legumes- These include, black eyed peas, pintobeans, lima beans, lentils, bakedbeans, kidney beans or even garbanzo beans.
- Fruits- These include, banana, strawberries, papayas, oranges, apples that have peels, mangoes, avocado, kiwis and even pears.
- Others types of food that can help with hardening of the stool includes pecans, dates, sun flower seeds, tomato paste, trail mix or even apple sauce.
- Regular exercise. A person is able to stimulate the body thus boosting proper function of intestinal organs. When the functions are properly carried out in the body the passing of stool becomes normal
- Plenty of fluids intake will keep one hydrated thus a person stool is softened. Drinking plenty of water is highly recommended.One should take at least eight classes of water in a day.
- Bowel movements– these movements should not be ignored or postponed to another time. A person should have enough time to be able to go to the toilet.
A person can decide to try other approaches so as to get relief however,before a person decides on these methods one should carry out extensive study on the method they are interested in. These methods might include, massage, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies.
- The use of laxatives
The use of this medicine assists in stool motility, bulkiness and frequency however they offer relieve from constipation temporarily. One should avoid the over use of laxatives since it causes other problem involving chronic constipation which is more severe or even fecal impaction. They make the rectum muscles forget how to function properly in moving the stool on their own.
Other drugs includes stool softeners and emollient laxatives that’s keeps the stool soft and wet. These are mostly used by the persons healing from surgery and can take a week or so to do the intended work.
Surgeries are often done on people when the stool situation worsens; the role of the surgeon is to correct the malfunctioning of the intestinal organs. This often involves the removal of anal sphincter or even rectum. These parts are mostly responsible for causing stool hardening.
Filed in: Conditions