Muscle spasms in stomach are involuntary muscle contractions which prolong for some time and can cause severe pain. It may occur suddenly while doing exercise, bending, carrying a heavy object etc. Muscle spasms are common and can affect people of all age groups.
When a person does varied activities, the brain gives an electrical signal to the muscles through the central nervous system. The nervous system then releases some chemical resulting in movement of muscles. When some interruption occurs during this process, muscle spasms are felt. Muscle spasms can happen in any part of the body, but one has to be careful in case of muscle spasms in neck and stomach. Muscle spasms in stomach can occur due to several reasons; some causes are severe whereas some are mild. At times, illnesses or disorders of organs close to the abdomen can lead to muscle spasms.
Symptoms of Muscle spasms in stomach
The most common symptom of muscle spasms in stomach is stomach pain. This pain may be followed by other symptoms like:
- Severe cramps in abdomen
- If muscle spasms are severe, then the person may experience blood in stool or vomit.
- In extreme cases there may occur hemorrhage.
If any of these above signs and symptoms are visible, it is essential to consult a medical expert and get a checkup done to detect the cause and also to prevent the onset of any medical complications.
Causes of Muscle spasm in stomach
Muscle spasms in stomach can occur due to several reasons. Some of them are as follows:
- Any kind of injury, especially to the abdominal area.
- Urinary tract infection at times can be a cause for spasms in abdomen. Development of stones in kidney may hinder the flow of urine and might cause infections in urinary tract resulting in pain and spasms.
- Viral infections can cause various diseases like leptospirosis, typhoid, cholera, food poisoning, and jaundice. All these cause chronic pain and cramps in stomach.
- Reactions can occur when any food is consumed that does not suit the body. This further leads to pain, swelling, and indigestion of food. Muscle spasms thus occur due to intake of allergenic foods. At times consumption of excess food can also cause muscle spasms in stomach.
- Constipation can cause excess pressure on the muscles of the stomach leading to cramps and pain.
- Development of gallstones in gallbladder can hinder the passage of bile. Subsequently, accumulation of bile can trigger an infection in the area, which may be marked by pain that spreads to other parts of the body such as the abdomen.
- Diarrhea is also very common reason for pain in abdomen. People of all age groupstend to suffer from stomach muscle cramps due to diarrhea.
- Any kind of hernia or ulcer, internal bleeding, or tumor in stomach may lead to pain and cramps. There are chances that tumor may be malignant.
- Dehydration is one of the main reason for sudden and unexpected occurrence of muscle cramps.
- Cyst in ovaries or uterine fibroids can cause severe spasms in the lower part of abdomen. Also before and during menstruation, women often suffer from muscle cramps.
- Sportsmen usually suffer from muscle spasms, often due to extreme exercising, running, etc.
- Damage to nerves or spinal cord can cause cramps in muscles.
- Sometimes a person may be doing only one activity such as sitting or having the same posture while working. This can lead to muscles spasms.
Some other causes of muscle spasms in stomach can be:
- Poor diet
- Inflammation of the appendix
- Weakness due to disease or surgery
- Excess mental stress
- Prolonged vomiting or nauseated feeling
- Illness like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colic, etc.
Treatment of Muscle spasms in stomach
The treatment for muscle spasms in stomach can be determined only after knowing the cause for it. In severe cases, specialized treatments are required to treat it whereas in simple cases it can be cured with the aid of stretching exercises. In severe cases, doctors need to be consulted without delay.
Some of the ways/home remedies to stop muscle spasms in stomach are as follows:
- The first step involves drinking of lots of water as it will remove all the toxic waste from the stomach.
- If stress is the cause for muscle cramps then relax the mind with yoga, meditation, medicines, and a good night’s sleep.
- Consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits that has fiber helps to lessen the cramps. Food rich in fiber are good as fiber helps to clean the digestive tract. A person suffering from muscle spasms in stomach should keep away from oily and spicy food.Also, stop intake of soda and coffee.
- Intake of herbal tea and adding ginger in meal are helpful for stomach pain
- Brisk walking helps in digestion whereas simple exercises helps in disposal of waste from the system.
Filed in: Conditions